When a friendly dog bounds up to you in the course of your day, it is uplifting. If a dog attacks and bites you, however, it is not only a terrifying experience but can also lead to serious injuries and other losses. Dog bites and animal attacks are as emotionally harrowing as they are dangerous, sometimes requiring the expertise of a dog bite lawyer.
If a dog owner’s negligence leaves you injured, your first order of business should be seeking the medical attention that you need, and your second should be consulting with a compassionate and committed personal injury attorney and dog bite lawyer at The Jackman Personal Injury in Seattle.
Dog Bite Laws
The State of Texas does not have any specific laws on the books regarding dog bites, but this does not mean that you can’t pursue compensation for the damages you’ve suffered. You can hold pet owners responsible for their animal’s dangerous actions based on all of the following:
- The dog owner’s negligence
- The dog owner’s knowledge of the dog’s propensity to be violent
- The dog owner’s violation of a local leash law
- The dog owner’s intention (he or she intended for the dog to bite and injure you)
Let’s take a closer look at each.
Negligence and Dog Leash Laws
Dog owners are responsible for engaging reasonable care in their efforts to prevent their pets from biting and harming others. If the dog owner was negligent in his or her handling of the dog or if the owner failed to adhere to local leash laws, it could form the basis of your dog bite claim.
The One Bite Rule
If a dog has already attacked, bit, attempted to bite, and/or acted as if it wanted to bite someone else, the dog’s owner knows that the dog has – at the very least – a propensity for dangerous behaviors. This is what is known as the one-bite rule, which means that if the dog has already bitten someone, it may well do so again. If you can demonstrate that the dog that left you injured had struck before, it can strengthen your case. Proving this, however, can be difficult to accomplish, which is why working closely with an experienced Dallas personal injury lawyer is highly recommended.
It can be difficult to wrap your head around, but some people do train their dogs to attack. If you were attacked by a dog who was instructed to do so or who was allowed to do so, you need professional legal counsel on your side.
If You’re Attacked by a Dog or Other Animal
If you or someone you love is attacked by someone else’s dog, there are some important first steps you should take, including:
- Remove yourself as quickly as you can from any danger.
- If your injuries are serious, call 9-1-1 and seek the medical attention you need.
- If your injuries don’t require immediate medical attention, apply light pressure near the wound to help naturally flush out the impurities therein, wash with warm water and mild soap, and apply antibiotic ointment. If you experience any signs of infection, consult with a doctor.
- Discuss the incident with a dedicated personal injury attorney who has the experience necessary to help successfully tackle your complicated but important claim.
Injuries Common to Dog Bites and Attacks
A dog can cause grave injuries in a dangerous and terrifying attack that takes almost no time at all. Children are even more vulnerable to the ravages of dog attacks. While every dog-bite incident is unique to the situation at hand, there are some injuries that are commonly associated, including:
- Puncture Wounds
- Tears, cuts, and lacerations in the skin, muscles, ligaments, and tendons
- Broken bones
- Damage to nerves
- Injuries related to dangerous falls, such as traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) and spinal injuries
- Emotional trauma
- Scarring (when on or near the face, scarring can be disfiguring)
Any open wounds associated with the attack can also lead to very serious infections. Suffice to say that, when a dog attacks, it can lead to serious injuries that can be debilitating or even deadly.
You Need an Experienced Dallas Dog Bite Lawyer in Your Corner
Dog attacks can be both extremely dangerous and frightening. This is why the formidable personal injury attorneys at The Jackman Personal Injury in Dallas are committed to employing their vast experience in their concerted effort to guide your claim toward a just outcome. Your case matters, so please don’t hesitate to contact or call us at (972) 961-2707 for more information today.