Most of us don’t give much thought to slipping and falling. After all, you just get back up and carry on with your day. Unfortunately, it’s very often not that easy. In fact, slip and fall accidents are as serious as they are common. When you’re going about your business for the day, you’re not expecting a property owner’s negligence to cause you to be injured, but when property owners and managers don’t maintain their premises in a reasonably safe condition for patrons like you, exceedingly dangerous slip and fall accidents can be the result. If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident that was caused by a property owner’s negligence, a dedicated slip and fall accident lawyer at The Jackman Personal Injury is well prepared to help.
The Property Owner’s Duty of Care in Slip and Fall Accidents
When you enter a store, or any other business or enterprise, you enter as an invited guest. The property owner owes you a duty of care to provide you with reasonably safe conditions that allow for your safe passage, just as a manufacturer has responsibility for the safety of their products. When you head out on a trail, you take the risk involved into careful consideration and proceed accordingly. When you enter a department store (or any other kind of business), on the other hand, you aren’t likely to calculate the risk involved – because it shouldn’t be a seriously risky endeavor in the first place. If a property owner or manager fails to uphold the necessary duty of care, however, entering that department store can be dangerous – and the most common danger is slip and fall accidents.
Your Slip and Fall Case
If you’ve been injured as a result of slipping and falling on a commercial property, the following elements are necessary to bring a successful claim:
- The property owner owed you a duty of care. If you are on the premises legally (as a customer, for example), the property owner does owe you this duty.
- The property owner failed to maintain the premises in a reasonably safe condition.
- The property owner knew about the danger – or reasonably should have known about it – and failed to take care of the matter or to sufficiently warn patrons like you about it.
- The danger was the direct cause of your slip and fall accident.
- Your slip and fall accident caused you to be injured.
Slip and fall cases are often quite complicated, but an intrepid personal injury attorney with considerable experience in these difficult cases can help guide yours smoothly toward a beneficial resolution.
Slip and Fall Accidents: Common Causes
It’s important to note that every slip and fall case addresses its one set of circumstances and follows its own path. This being said, however, there are several general causes that commonly apply, including:
- Outdoor Walkways – Outdoor walkways and parking lots can be made slippery by adverse weather or by falling leaves and other debris and can harbor significant tripping hazards caused by wear and tear that’s left unattended, by uneven surfaces, by the implementation of a dangerous design, and by much more.
- Entryways – Entryways welcome you into businesses, but they’re often the sight of dangerous slip and fall accidents. When the door’s very threshold is uneven, it can pose a tripping hazard. Further, the walking surface can be slippery to begin with or can be made slippery by debris and/or moisture that’s tracked in on visitors’ shoes. Cracked, frayed, torn, bunched, or otherwise badly worn flooring can also contribute to slip and fall accidents.
- Ailes, Halls, and Other Walkways – When the areas that you walk through in the business aren’t safely maintained, it greatly increases the risk that slip and falls will happen. Risks can include inadequate lighting, spills that are left unattended, poorly maintained flooring, and obstacles (such as promotional products) along the way.
- Stairwells – Falls from heights, such as from stairs, are the most dangerous falls, which is why businesses must pay special attention to their stairwells. Dangers can include unsafe design, poor construction, inadequate maintenance, inadequate lighting, inadequate attention to safety additions like handrails, slippery flooring, and much more.
Call Us Today to Schedule a Consultation with a Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer in Dallas
Slip and fall accidents are dangerous, and the attendant claims are complicated. The dedicated personal injury attorneys at The Jackman Personal Injury in Dallas, however, have the necessary experience and keen focus to help direct your claim toward its most positive resolution. Recovering on your full array of physical, financial, and emotional damages is key, so please don’t hesitate to contact or call us at (972) 961-2707 for more information today.